Landlord Information & Guidance

We offer an alternative way in which landlords are able to ‘let’ and ‘sell’ their properties.

We are the ‘all in one’ property management & letting agency, our main advantage compared to our competitors, is that we are landlords and understand what a landlord requires. We also know how we ‘as a landlord’ want our properties to be managed and we treat yours like it was one of our own. We;

One main point that Landlords should realise, is that you have to be a landlord to understand the ins and outs and actual requirements to renting a property and property management.

We own rental properties and we will treat yours as if it was one of our own.

We want to ensure that your property is looked after throughout the tenancy, that you as a landlord are happy and that the tenant is happy in your property.

We will complete a free property appraisal for you, and provide guidance and advice on your property if required.


  • are an accredited letting agency
  • provide FREE valuations
  • are a value for money service
  • are a service that is built to your requirements
  • offer property maintenance
  • provide a fully managed or part managed service depending on your needs
  • offer a complete and professional service and an agent that you can trust
  • arrange all your utilities to ensure you save money and make moving less painful

Our clients choose us due to our expertise, experience and customer focused professional attitude with dealing with their assets.

We are the only letting agent in North Lincolnshire that is a member of the Scunthorpe and North Lincolnshire Landlords Association (SNLLA) and Tenants Accreditation Scheme.

As a landlord, feel assured that we understand your requirements, concerns and aspirations, you can be confident that we understand what’s important to you, as it is important to us too.

Click to view.

The role of the landlord

The role of a landlord can at times be difficult, it can be time consuming and at times stressful.

Things for existing and potential landlords to consider before you buy a property to let include;

  • Find the best buy-to-let mortgage
  • Ensure you have enough to cover the deposit for the purchase (usually a minimum of 10% although this can be as high as 40%)
  • Make sure you have appropriate landlord's insurance
  • Decide on the right tenant for you
  • Make sure you have obtained references and a credit check on potential tenants
  • Up keep and maintenance of the property
  • Appropriate gas safety certification from a qualified gas engineer
Buy to Let Mortgages

If you are thinking of buying a house to let, then you'll probably need to apply for a buy-to-let mortgage, which allows you to buy a second property.

These are three main characteristics that make a buy-to-let mortgage different from other types of mortgages. These are:

  • Rent Potential - a mortgage lender will take into consideration how much rent you will earn from the property on top of your current income. But in some cases your other income will not even be looked at because the potential earnings from the property will be enough to secure a loan
  • Interest Rate – buy-to-let mortgages tend to have slightly higher interest rates due to the fact it is a second mortgage and you will make a profit from the rent
  • Larger Deposit - most mortgage lenders will require a minimum deposit of 10-25 per cent of the property's value to secure a buy-to-let mortgage. However, each mortgage lender has different rules for this so make sure you shop around for the best deal
  • Along with a buy-to-let mortgage there are other costs involved, these include; Maintenance costs, insurance and safety certificates.

These should always be taken into account before you buy a property to rent.

Landlords Insurance

Although landlords are not required to have landlord's insurance by law, you will probably find that it's more cost effective to pay out for cover for your rental property than for the repairs to your house should it be damaged or destroyed.

If you have a buy-to-let mortgage on the property then your mortgage lender may insist that the building be insured in the case of a fire or malicious damage, which is included in the Landlord's Insurance. They may also ask that the house be only let to professional tenants.

These days, landlord insurance policies cover everything from a tenant refusing to leave to having to pay to re-house them after a fire, someone dying due to loose roof tiles, or damage caused by a tenant (but always check your policy with your insurance provider).

Many landlord insurance policies also cover any loss of rental income due to a fire in the property, that is the rent you lost while rebuilding goes on and the cost of re-housing the tenant.

You should also make sure that you're landlord's insurance includes legal protection. This covers the landlords for loss of rent if a tenant refuses to pay and can also cover the legal bills incurred from getting the tenant out.

Whichever insurance package you agree to, every landlord's policy should include property owner's liability, which will cover anything that happens to your tenant - even as a result of your negligence.

Don't forget to let the insurance company know when a tenant moves in. If they are not informed that someone is living there when things go wrong, the insurance company may refuse to pay out on your insurance policy in full.

10 Tips for landlords
  • Always have an application form that requests;
    • Details of last 3 years residences
    • Contains - Date of birth, National Insurance Number,next of kin details etc.
  • Ask for a copy of;
    • Driving license
    • Passport or other proof of identity
  • Always use a tenant credit referencing service.
  • Ask for sight of the last 3 or 6 months bank statements.
  • Beware of people in a rush, or "living with their parents". This may sometimes cause problems in the future.
  • Try to make an unexpected home visit - that way you may see how they look after the property and confirm they actually live there.
  • Advise them to take out insurance to cover their and your belongings (ask for a copy of the insurance certificate).
  • Serve a S21 notice at the start of the tenancy. That is the day they move in. They will usually sign a copy of the notice at that time, providing the evidence you need to prove the notice has been served.
  • Think about taking 6weeks and not four weeks deposit to avoid the scenario where they do not pay the last month rent, and there is still damage when they leave.
  • Make sure you have Insurance in place that covers "Injury to people residing in or visiting the premises".

Click here for North Lincolnshire Council – Landlord Advice.

Contact us today by calling 01724 487297 or 01724 487297 or email